Monday, July 18, 2011

Mounting a Play in a Week Requires A LOT of Wine

While I may have survived my mother's chex mix, I have not survived the workload and wine required to mount a play in one week.

I was asked to take a play I wrote last year and produce it as a benefit for a local nonprofit. Well, its a childrens play and not all that entertaining for adults. So, it really need to be rewritten some as well. And, I didn't have much time to get it going with vacation... not just mine, but the others who agreed to do this with me.

We had one week to get this thing done.

Turning a childrens play into a funny adult piece takes time/wine. Last week I did regular meetings with the cast to make this thing entertaining and our host (one of the actors) kept the wine coming. It did seem that the more wine we drank, the funnier the script got. This, of course, made us a little nervous. We thought we better bring in some sober individuals to hear a read. To our surprise, they liked it. Guess the wine worked!

Yesterday was the performance. And, we were a hit! But, I am pretty concerned that the creative juices I was enjoying might show up pretty good on the scale tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment