Saturday, October 23, 2010

Clowns and Needles -- Not a Great Combination

As part of my doctor supervised diet program, I have blood work done every six weeks.  I received a call on Thursday that I was due for them... so Friday morning I stopped in.

Aichmophobia is the fear of needles or pointed objects.  There are a lot of people in the world with this phobia.. or who just generally don't like needles, and not excited about getting blood work done.  Fortunately, I'm not one of those people.  I'm not excited by them, but I know it's just part of life. 

I'm certain that many people who suffer from a phobia are likely to have other fears.  So, what's a great idea?  Let's ease people's anxiety with something even more scary... like clowns, right??

On my three or so visits to get my labs done, I've regularly noticed the three evil clowns staring back at me.  All framed nicely and placed on the wall directly in front of the patient are images from the Emmett Kelly collection.  Images like the one below.    
That's just wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment