Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Fat Class Recap 13

It's my last fat class with this initial group. After this class many of us will go different routes. So, this might be the last time you'll hear about the Drinker, or Jed, or any of the others I've mentioned. I'm also not likely to be with Paulie anymore in class. But, I suspect she'll still be a regular of the blog.

For the record, Paulie and I ended these 13 weeks at nearly the same amount of weight loss. This week I was down another 3+ pounds, and she lost another 2+. And, for both of us - our total weight loss is right around 35 pounds!

I brought the cheesecake I made to class. Paulie and I distributed it among the group (who were drooling) and Jed immediately tells me it is "a very respectable cheesecake!" He used that word. Respectable. Many partake of it and Ginah has me give everyone the recipe during our discuss of holiday food.

Ginah shares other holiday recipes to help us make it through. There are holiday shakes we can make for Halloween. She started class distributing samples of the snickers shake. I like to make the butterfingers shake at home.

When Ginah passes out copies of the recipes, she says "These recipes will make you think you're part of festivities."

Then the Drinker says "Why> Do they have alcohol in them?"

Jed says, "Are we through with this trick or treat business?"

I can't tell if he's ready to move on or wants to ask a question. Ginah doesn't look like she knows what he means either.

"...well, it's just that I have an idea..." Jed continues. "I think if you're really wanting some Halloween candy, you can just take out one of the bars and eat that. It is basically a candy bar, you know?"

Jed then gets a thought. "Oh, and I have an idea! Instead of candy, you can always give out a quarter to the kids. Imagine how many kids would be running over to your house if they hear you are giving out quarters!"

I immediately remember a Halloween in the early 80s. My father took us out and we stopped at one house where the guy looked really taken aback that we stopped for Halloween. Instead of just saying sorry, the guy said "WAIT.. hold on... I have something!" Seems like we waited forever. He eventually came back with pennies. Even at ilk 12, I thought that was lame. Pennies? Flash forward to 2010 and keep in mind inflation. I'm guessing the kids wouldn't be too excited by ONE quarter. At least this guy gave me like 10 pennies. Sorry Jed... probably not a great idea.

As I awake from my trance, I hear Ginah discussing how people are less and less physically active. "If there was a drive thru grocery, I think people would go!" She sounds frustrated.

A classmate tells her there is one and you can get a daiquiri while you wait. Several classmates say, "Where?" I think they even wrote it down. I turn to the Drinker and say, "Sounds like your kind of place!"

She responds, "Nah. I'm not into daiquiris. I like the hard stuff!"

Ginah shows the class a chart of empty calorie foods. Crackers was listed. I hear about 5 people say, "Crackers!" I think I was one of them.

The drinker says, "Crackers. Mmmm. I miss crackers. And cheese. And wine."


(Big Sigh). I'm really gonna miss the Drinker.

No comments:

Post a Comment