Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Fat Class Recap 11

Ginah annouces our total weight loss as a class.  371 pounds, averaging 33.8 pounds a person.  If you remember my update from last week, none of the women had lost that much.  It's all the men.  In fact, even one of the men in our class talks about it.  His wife is doing the program too.  And, even though they are doing the exact same thing... she's lost only about half what he has.  He says it's causing great tension at home. 

The King of the Baton Rouge Fast Food market was actually in my class.  He's been on the diet since January and lost 50 pounds.  He looks great but it must be a challenge being in the box with all that fried food around.

We discuss recipes, again.  I'm so tired of these classes.  Paulie is refered to as the "chicken washer" because she regularly cleans the entrees before cooking them.  She washes off all the sauces that come on them.  It's actually a good trick!  It helps.  She'll grill her chicken and swears it makes it taste better.  "If you grill the pot roast it actually tastes like hamburger," Paulie says.  "Well, as close as a hamburger as we're going to get," she adds.  I look back at the King of Fast Foods to see if he's getting ideas for a new low fat entree.  He is listening to a voicemail message instead.  Good for him!  He's been in this since January, so he knows how to manage his time in class.

The Drinker shares a bread pudding recipe.  When she mentions including RUM extract, she sounds gitty.  I heard her tell the King of Fast Foods that the more extract the better... and how it helps to ease the pain.  He smiles kindly.

We talk at length about Phase II and what route people want to take when the core class ends in two weeks.  Ginah plays a video showing testimonies from individuals who have been maintaining their weight.  Many of them mention the number of "meal replacements" they still eat (box food) and high levels of physical activity.  Every 30 seconds I can hear the drinker say, "This is depressing!"  When the video ends, Ginah says "so, what did you think?"  The drinker says, "I think I'm depressed.  That is depressing!!"  Ginah explains that wasn't the intent of the video.  It was actually suppose to motivate the class. 

After class, the Drinker tells me about how she only lost a half of pound this week.  She is furious.  "And, I was really good this week!  I only had two martinis.  Well, really one and half coz the bartender screwed up that one... so I REALLY only drank like one if you think about it," she says.  And, she does.  Think.  She stopped talking and stood there a second thinking with her eyes looking intensely around.  After a beat she says, "I'm going back to booze!"  Again, I think.  Didn't she tell me this same story two weeks ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment